Love bacon? Ham? Pork chops? Who doesn't, right? March 1st is National Pig Day. Created back in 1972, the reason for the season is to "recognize and be thankful for pigs as intelligent domestic animals." I was surprised to learn there is a national day for pigs, but I was even more shocked by some other porky facts:
- Pigs are very intelligent animals; they can be trained much more easily than dogs. In fact, a piglet can learn its name in just two weeks.
- Pigs have an excellent sense of smell. They can smell food up to five feet underground.
- Contrary to popular belief, pigs are cleaner than most animals. They do not excrete where they sleep unless they live in captivity.
- The idiom ‘to sweat like a pig’ is totally false. Pigs don't have sweat glands.
- Pigs roll in mud to cool their bodies, but prefer water to mud -- they're excellent swimmers.
- Pork is the most consumed meat in the world.
So, now that you know, what will you do to celebrate National Pig Day? Wear a pink curly ribbon around your pig tails? Cook a fat roast? Have a Snort Off or a Pig Out? Join an online Pig Chat? Play a piggy game? Whatever you do, take a minute on Sunday to celebrate the princely pig in all its porky glory.
Your "Praise for Pigs" Gift Guru,